donderdag 30 januari 2014

설날 - SEOLLAL, LUNAR NEW YEAR


Today the biggest holiday in South Korea has started: 4 FULL(!) days to celebrate Lunar New Year (Seollal). For most Seoul people this equals an exodus to their hometowns. I am just lying on my bed surfing on the internet. What a quiet day. The streets are even more deserted than during Christmas in Belgium! I remember spending Tet in Hanoi when I was about 18. *gosh, seems ages ago* At that time I bought a cherry blossom tree with Zương and visited family and friends for two weeks eating banh chung (Vietnamese style New Year rice cake packed in banana leaves) till I dropped. In South Korea, similar to other Asian countries with a Confucian background, people living in the big cities go to their hometowns to spend time with family, bow to family elders, exchange well wishes, and eat Tteokguk (Korean rice cake soup). 

Foreigners, including myself, usually are left with the only option of trying to find any place that didn't close in order to eat a decent meal. And when unsuccesful, fortunately... there is always instant Ramyeon! 


새해복 많이 받으세요! Chúc Mừng Năm Mới! 



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten