zaterdag 3 januari 2015

ADIEU 2014, WELCOME 2015!




It's 2015, a new year and time for some intro- and retrospection!

2014 was the year of many first times! First time being held back at the Airport for passport problems (Gosh, wrong information on the embassy's website!!!); first time real solo travelling without any planning! Not a good idea but glad it all turned out well in the country of mango, white beaches and everlasting rice fields; and the first time having year '88 friends announcing they are expecting babies. Yep, it has officially begun!

In the meantime, I've finished my coursework. So, what's left now is 'only' that thesis, which seems to be a (very) long project. Again, some good friends have graduated and left Korea. Miss you both a lot, Lili and Luis! We will meet again fur sure, hopefully this year!

I was happy to be reunited with my family and friends in Belgium and Ireland this summer, after two years of no homecoming. A lot has changed in the city where I grew up and studied. Still, somehow it felt as if I had never left. My cat is already 14 years old but active as never before. It made me believe that cats do have multiple lives!

And I finally kept my promises and visited long time friends, who I failed to meet again in the past 8 years. Thank you so much Denise, My and Huong for proving that friendships can overcome time! 

Another great year spent in Seoul, with ups and downs, but always with the support of my lovely friends. Thank y'all! Let's make 2015 another great year in Kimchiland! 

Love, Lara






Last year's 2013 in retrospect! :)

Looking back at how 2013 was for me, I would say it was unforgettable in many good and bad ways! This year I was able to (re)meet amazing people while travelling to Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore and Indonesia. Many of these people have left a lasting impression within me and some have also become really wonderful friends. I like living in Seoul and I'm grateful towards the people who have always supported me. I've become very much accustomed to the Korean way of living (even the spicy KIMCHI!), in a way it makes me somehow a little nervous when thinking about having to leave in the end. However this doesn't mean I haven't missed home! It's a cliche, and therefore it bears some truth: the longer you stay away, the more you come to realize what is important and what is not. How you may turn it, having family and friends who support you unconditionally might be one of the most important things in life. And some of the friends I held very dear have either left South Korea, drifted away, or have left without a warning... Having family and friends to miss, isn't it a bittersweet feeling?! In the past year, my Korean has improved, however I feel frustrated since it's not good enough and it will never be... Forgetting (for a second) about the struggles of writing decent papers in Korean, I agree that the Korean language is amazing, not only because of its richness in sounds and expressiveness but also because of its level of difficulty! Hopefully 2013 has brought y'all plenty of amazing memories to cherish and I hope 2014 will be even better! Cheers! x Lara

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten