zondag 4 januari 2015

ROOTS DOWN!

Today something wonderful happened!

In August this summer, I had put some of the broken branches of my Pachira Aquatica tree one of my living space's inhabitants since coming to Korea into a glass of water after they broke off while I was cleaning. Once in a while I checked whether the branches would start growing roots or not. I know it's possible to propagate plants and make them grow roots after they are put in water, such as mint and many other room plants. 

After many months without any visible result, I didn't check anymore but kept on refilling the glass of water, since the leaves were still very green. 

And today!!!! Today, I was wondering why those branches are still green and when I checked the water, I surprisingly saw these long roots sprouting out. I already know I'm a sucker for plants and nature in general and I also know it sounds silly, but I felt really HAPPY! Something has found the power to root down despite initially having no big chances of survival! It was as if that plant was me, after coming to Korea: empty handed without even knowing Hangeul, building everything from scratch, and slowly starting to put down roots and be able to survive in a harsh and competitive environment. 

People, similar to plants, have this great ability: to grow roots and build new life even with nothing but the basics! Cheers to all those learning how to survive in whatever circumstances encountered!

My qumquat tree, which I have been growing from seed right after coming to Korea, is still doing well. However, I have given up all hope on ever seeing fruit on my little, super slow growing tree. After receiving my love, I can't believe you only grew 20cm in the past 3 years and half!!! :O My coffee plant needs a lot of water and is steadily growing bigger but probably won't bear any beans either!

How wonderful life is, when you're...
able to keep plants alive!



Many plants have come and left... these are the die hards/sole survivors of a student's life and travelling!

My room is always sunny. Will miss this place a lot after moving in February! 
ㅠㅠ


Although I decided not to really celebrate Christmas this year, I still got a gift from my Secret Santa! Thanks to a very special person! Miss you, Jiyoung! Hope our paths will cross again this year, girl! :)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten